Tuesday, July 31, 2012

B.B.S. Pokegama July 28th

My boater Adam had a good day getting 3rd Place and Big Bass 4.15lbs 
The fishing at Pokegama was tough for me in large part because my back/ right leg was in pain for much of the day.  I couldn't keep contact with my lure like I needed to and hooksets were an issue as well.  The weather was partly cloudy to sunny with a bit of a breeze out of the South, blowing strongest at the end of the day.

We got on the "juice" immediately in the morning.  On my 3rd cast I got a big fish, but it was the wrong kind.
It was a big bowfin that did a number on my hook.  While I was landing the fish, Adam got his first bass.  I got the bowfin off the hook and no sooner did Adam have his big bass on.  I got it netted went back to dealing with my line.  Adam had another fish on immediately.  He may have gotten one more before I got my line back in the water.  I finally picked up first bass a 13 incher on a Blue Bruiser Crawtube.  I also got a small pike.  Adam got 5 fish on the starting spot.

We headed to our second spot and got nothing.  Then we went to run some docks.  Adam got his limit fish and I missed a couple bites on a Zoom Fluke.  Adam caught his first cull and I got a 10" bass and another small pike.

We went back to our first spot and I got a  14" bass on the Crawtube.  I think I got another pike as well.  Adam got a couple more fish.   We went to another spot and Adam caught 3 or 4 and I got nothing.  Next we headed out of Poole Bay and went to Salter Bay but that was a bust.  Next we went to Sugar Bay where I got a couple of 13 inchers on a brown/green pumpkin Crawtube along with a non-keeper and a pike.  We went to 1 more spot in Sugar then headed to the river.  The river turned out to be a bust and we headed out of there stopping to fish some slop in Jay Gould.  I finally got a good bass on a Horny Toad (15.5").  I ended  up missing a couple more on poor hooksets.  Adam got 3 or 4 more bass.

Next we headed back to our starting spot and I got my limit fish (15.5") on the brown/g.p. Crawtube.  I was relieved to get my limit.  I also culled my first fish of the day with a 14" fish.  Next we headed way down to the bottom of Sherry Arm to fish slop.  Adam picked up a few fish on a frog and I missed my first bite.  Finally I got one on a Zoom Horny Toad that went 15.25".  I think I missed one more and Adam got a couple more.  We ran back up to Sugar Bay for 20 minutes than fished the last 10 minutes in Tioga Bay where I caught a dink pike to end the day.

My weight was 10-15 and got me 19th Place.  Adam's 16-6 got him 3rd Place.  1st Place was Chuck Johansen who was fishing by himself with 19-1. Apparently he was fishing docks.

I should have had over 12lbs easy, but my leg was just to much of an issue.

No comments: