Monday, March 07, 2005

Thoughts on Bass Fishing Statistics

Most sports measure achievement in one way or another with a diverse variety of statistics. Bass fishing can be measured in the same way. Here are my proposed statistical categories that I think all Bass Fishing Organizations should keep and that I will keep for myself on at the BP Tourny HQ.

TLA or "Tournament Limiting Average" : Number of days with limit weighed divided by total tournament days fished.

Angler A gets 8 Limits in 10 Tournaments for a TLA of .800%

LCP or "Limit Catch Pace" or "Limit Catch Percentage" : Total Number of fish caught in the tournament season divided by the accumlation of limit X tournment days.

Angler L weighs 40 out of a possible 50 fish for a LCP of .800%.

A TLA of 1000 would equal a LCP of 1000 but one could conceive of having a poor TLA and a pretty high LCP. Say a angler gets a limit in 4 of 10 tournies for a TLA .400% yet out of the 50 fish limit total possible they weigh 43 fish for a LCP of .860%

FWA or "Fish Weighed Average" : Total Weight of fish weighed divided by number of fish weighed. I think this one is very important.

Angler F weighs 115lbs by way of 50 fish for a FWA of 2.3lbs
Angler W weighs 115lbs by way of 40 fish for a FWA of 2.87lbs.


BBP or Big Bass Percentage: Total of fish over 4lb weighed divided by total fish weighed.

Angler BP weighs 6 Toads out of 50 for a BBP of .120%

Update: Bass Parade Blog has done a post on Bass Fishing Statistics.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I like it! I'll have to give it a try this season. Although I always try things like this and then forget to do it when the time comes...

Anonymous said...

Hi Basspastor: I came here looking for information on ice fishing shelter and found your post on Thoughts on Bass Fishing Statistics. Although it's not quite the information I was looking for, I appreciate the chance to have a read. I'll definately be checking back in. I'm off to look for more resources for ice fishing shelter. If you have any more great suggestions, please post them here and I'll come back to check. Thanks again!